Saturday, June 17, 2006

A Wretched Man I Am

Today I was again reminded of the depravity of my own heart, my lack of love for God, and for those around me. God, please deliver me from myself! Please help me to see others better than myself. Please deliver me and cleanse me from my wicked, sinful, and hard heart, my depraved mind, my selfish will, and my unrighteous deeds, through Jesus Christ my Lord and by the power of the Holy Spirit, Amen.

Here are some quotes that represent how I feel today and my condition as a fallen son of Adam:

This was on William Carey's tombstone:

WILLIAM CAREY, BORN AUGUST 17, 1761; DIED
A wretched, poor, and helpless worm,
On Thy kind arms I fall."

This is what the apostle Paul said:

Romans 3:10-12, 16-18: "10 As it is written: "There is no one righteous, not even one; 11 there is no one who understands, no one who seeks God. 12 All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one." 16 ruin and misery mark their ways, 17 and the way of peace they do not know." 18 "There is no fear of God before their eyes.""

Romans 7:18: "I know that nothing good lives in me."

John Newton, Amazing Grace:

Amazing grace! How sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found;
Was blind, but now I see.

No comments: