Thursday, June 15, 2006

Who Do you Say that I am?

Here is an amusing blog from Adam Winters:

Here's a preacher's story that I absolutely loved.
Some of you will be rolling over in your chair when you hear this.Others (maybe most of you) will probably sympathize with the punch line:

When Jesus heard that Karl Barth, Rudolf Bultmann, and Paul Tillich (the 3 most influential German theologians of the 20th century) had died, He decided to hold an audience with them. Jesus asked them, "Who do you say that I am?"

Karl Barth replied, "You are the unreachable, unknowable, impenetrable Holy Other!"

Rudolf Bultmann said, "You're the unaculturated, demythologized essence of kerygmatic truth!"

And Paul Tillich said, "You're the unverbalized, the unfathomable, the untraceable ground of our being!"

And Jesus replied:"Huh?"

Good day to you all. And my hope and prayer is that you can say with Peter in Matthew 16:16 that Jesus is "the Christ, the Son of the living God." Oh, the goodness of God our Father who illuminates our dark, dull minds to behold the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ and to be transformed into His image from glory to glory. Amen!

4 comments:

Ian Hugh Clary said...

Hehe, good post!
I stumbled across your blog via Justin Taylor. It was a delight to see your from my neck of the woods. I live in downtown T.O.
Great blog!

Anonymous said...

amen on your post about the SBC view on alcohol. - Will Robison, William4x@aol.com

Nick said...

Ian,

Thanks for the encouragement. Have a great day,

Nick

Anonymous said...

I grew up in a Baptist chuch, but now go to another church now that I am in another city for college. I emailed my old pastor, who I respect greatly, and he agrees with you and me. He is pretty sure that the resolution is only for leaders in the convention, which if they want to place restrictions on leadership, that doesn't bother me as much.

-Will