Thursday, January 24, 2008

Two Beautiful Quotes

Here are two beautiful and powerful quotes that I needed today from the blog of the well known and respected pastor (and former professor at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School) Ray Ortlund Jr. (I just discovered his blog):

Exegesis

"And now the end has come. So listen to my last piece of advice: exegesis, exegesis and yet more exegesis! Keep to the Word, to the Scripture that has been given us."

Karl Barth, in his final lecture upon getting kicked out of Bonn University, 1935

Quoted in Eberhard Busch, Karl Barth, page 259.

Nothing Cuts Us Down to Size

"Every time we look at the cross Christ seems to say to us, 'I am here because of you. It is your sin I am bearing, your curse I am suffering, your debt I am paying, your death I am dying.' Nothing in history or in the universe cuts us down to size like the cross."

John R. W. Stott, The Message of Galatians, page 179.

No comments: