Tuesday, May 08, 2007
Knowing God's Will: John Flavel
"The way we now have to know the will of God concerning us in difficult cases, is to search and study the Scriptures, and where we find no particular rule to guide us in this or that particular case, there we are to apply general rules.... If therefore, in doubtful cases, you would discover God's will, govern yourselves in your search after it by these rules:
1. Get the true fear of God upon your hearts; be really afraid of offending Him.
2. Study the Word more, and the concerns and interests of the world less.
3. Reduce what you know into practice, and you shall know what is your duty to practice.
4. Pray for illumination and direction in the way that you should go.
5. And this being done, follow providence as far as it agrees with the Word, and no further."
John Flavel, The Mystery of Providence (Carlisle, PA: Banner of Truth Trust, 1963), 186, 188. Found in How to Ruin Your Life by 40 by Steve Farrar, pg. 118.